Visiting NYC for the first time since we moved away was so exciting. I have really missed the city and our friends there, so it was so nice to be able to get back – even if only for a short couple of days. But after living there for a year, what does one do when visiting? It’s really hard for me to restrain myself from packing in too much. I had every intention of “taking it easy” but that didn’t last long. Not that I’m complaining… well, my feet are. I’ve gotten out of the habit of walking everywhere and booking 3+ miles a day on foot!
So here’s what we did (Rob had a hefty exam to take on Saturday, so we weren’t always together):
- I met up with my girlfriends late Friday night at Dos Caminos in the Meatpacking District for margaritas and their ah-ma-zing guacamole. This is one of my favorite restaurants in NYC (and it’s Mexican, so obviously I love it), and it’s tucked in the heart of a vibrant and lively part of the city.
- I went for a long walk in Central Park with Maggie and Jessa – one of my very favorite parts of the city – and had great girl time with these two.
- I checked out the Plaza and the Plaza Food Hall, all decked out in Christmas decorations.
- I walked from the Plaza along Fifth Avenue all the way to Bryant Park, peeking into all the famously intricate window displays and ending up at Bryant Park’s holiday shops.
- Rob finished up an exam that afternoon, whose case was on Warby Parker, so we hopped over to SoHo to check out their store and try on glasses (after a pick-me-up cupcake from Georgetown Cupcake).
- We ate at a delicious and popular NYC steakhouse, The Smith, near Lincoln Center and had fun in their photo booth
- We strolled through Central Park to Wollman Rink – magical setting against the bright city lights.
- We went to our old church, Apostles, on the Upper East Side
- We got brunch after church with some friends and celebrated my old roomie’s engagement!
Okay, so we did manage to squeeze in a lot. But it’s hard to resist all the fun things to see and do! What would YOU do if you had a weekend in NYC?