Today marks six months since Rob and I tied the knot in beautiful Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Honestly, that perfect day feels like forever ago. So many big life things have happened in this past half a year, but marriage has been the constant best thing in our lives. To save you from more mushy-gushy, I thought I’d share something a little more light-hearted.
I recently came across an article by the Huffington Post: 35 Things You Absolutely MUST Agree Upon Before Getting Married. A little ridiculous, but the “disagreements” that come from this list seem to add a little spice to marriage. It’s nice not being an exact clone of your spouse. But it is interesting and fun to learn to live with him/her and the inevitable differences. Check out our answers below. Where are points of “contention” in your marriage or relationship?
1. Does the toilet paper go over or under the roll?
B – Over. Definitely.
R – Don’t care.
2. Cats? Dogs? Both?
B – Neither. Ever. Sorry future kids, mommy’s “allergic.”
R – Neither.
3. Can you eat breakfast for dinner?
B – Yeah! That’s a fun treat. Might as well put on pajamas, too.
R – Yes, but why would you want to? The better question is, can you eat dinner for breakfast?
4. Cold pizza: yes or no?
B – Eh, depends how desperate/hungry I am.
R – Eh, it’s okay.
5. Is it acceptable to open presents as they arrive or do you have to wait for the actual birthday or holiday?
B – Wait for the actual birthday or holiday.
R – Actual birthday or holiday.
6. Should the dirty forks and knives go in the dishwasher with the handle sticking out of the utensil tray or down in the utensil tray?
B – Handle sticking out. Does anyone actually put the dirty side up?!
R – Definitely out.
7. Is it acceptable to leave dishes in the sink to “soak” overnight, or do they need to be cleaned before bed?
B – They can “soak” if I’m too lazy to unload the clean dishes from the dishwasher. Otherwise, just load ’em in.
R – It’s acceptable, yeah.
8. Toothpaste: cap on or cap off?
B – On.
R – On.
9. Again on the toothpaste: roll it from the bottom or just squeeze really hard?
B – Just squeeze really hard. Then when I can’t squeeze any harder, I move onto the next tube while Rob musters out the last remaining bits of paste from the first tube.
R – Continue to roll from the bottom in the tubes that Bridgette tossed aside for a new tube weeks ago.
10. Are towels a one-time use item or do you use the same towel until laundry day?
B – In a dream world, they’re one-time use, but in our world, they generally get a few days of use before grabbing a new one.
R – Yeah, I can use the same towel until laundry day.
11. How about washcloths?
B – One-time use.
R – Multiple use.
12. Road trip or flying?
B – Always love a good road trip, but it depends on time constraints.
R – Flying because we get there quicker.
13. What’s the right thread count for sheets?
B – As many as we can afford🙂. I love a luxurious bed.
R – As high as you can get. I love soft sheets.
14. What brand of toilet paper?
B – Whatever’s on sale.
R – Could not care less.
15. Mayo or Miracle Whip?
B – Neither. You won’t find that stuff in our house.
R – Never. Ever. Ever. Ever.
16. Pepsi or Coke?
B – Coke! Preferably Sprite, the world’s best drink.
R – Coke. And that’s the most ridiculous (obvious) question on this list.
17. Can you eat the holiday candy out in the display bowl or must it be left there for display?
B – Depends. I ate the Reese’s out of our bowl at Halloween, but that was my mistake for buying too tempting of a treat. The candy corn and now peppermints, however, are just for display.
R – I’ve never thought about it. Probably because I don’t have hankerings for candy.
18. What is YOUR definition of camping?
B – Sleeping on an air mattress at someone else’s place.
R – Hiking during the day and returning to the Westin at night.
19. Turn the thermostat down when you go out or leave it alone?
B – If I leave the house, the thermostat is off. When I come home, I turn it on and set it.
R – Turn it off, for sure. I’m more concerned about keeping it cool than warming it anyway.
20. At what point is a garbage bag too full to stuff more trash in it?
B – Haha I will cram as much in as possible. It’s only too full when it smells bad.
R – When you can’t fit any more into the bag. Or when it smells atrocious.
21. How many times is it acceptable to hit the snooze button?
B – As many as you want – just can’t be late for work/school😉
R – As many as you’d like. I don’t love to get up.
22. Thrift store shopping: great deals or gross?
B – Great for some things, like the awesome bench I got for our patio.
R – Thrift store shopping is fine, but not usually for clothes.
23. How far in advance is it OK to plan a vacation?
B – Never too early.
R – I’d say no more than a year, or so.
24. Restaurant reservations: necessary or too restrictive?
B – Necessary because we get dining points (read: free cash) using Open Table.
R – Fine if needed, but too restrictive if not necessary for the restaurant. I don’t like to be on too strict of a time frame.
25. Roller coasters: love ’em or hate ’em?
B – Love!!
R – Love ’em.
26. More chocolate chips, less cookie or more cookie, less chips?
B – A nice balance… unless it comes to dough, then more dough and less chips.
R – More cookie.
27. How much orange juice must be left in the container for it to be returned to the fridge?
B – I hate wasting, so either finish it or put it back in the fridge until it’s finished.
R – I don’t drink orange juice😀.
28. Chip clips or just roll the bag up?
B – Chip clips… I have a particular method of folding the bag before clipping that I taught Rob.
R – Chip clips, for sure. Though I’m not as particular as Bridgette.
29. Call the doctor or just take some medicine at home?
B – Just take some medicine at home… I avoid doctors at all cost.
R – Call the doctor, for sure. Taking medicine and just sitting at home has never worked for me.
30. Where is the prime location for the TV remote to stay?
B – On the coffee table, in the tray.
R – On the coffee table.
31. Is it OK to have a TV in the bedroom?
B – I’d prefer not, but we do have one in there. We just don’t use it.
R – Of course, but we don’t use it.
32. Should folded clothes be put away, or is it OK to just pull as needed from the basket of clean laundry?
B – Preferably put away, but I understand how busy some people are😉.
R – Put away, unless too short on time to do so.
33. Do you need to write a grocery list or just wait until you’re walking around the store to figure out what you need?
B – Definitely write a grocery list and cross off as I go.
R – Definitely wait until you’re walking around. I just walk up and down every aisle to make sure I don’t miss anything.
34. Making the bed: must-do or waste of time because you’re just going to get back in it?
B – I love a well-made bed! And I also love when Rob surprises me with a well-made bed if I leave first in the morning!
R – I’m neutral.
35. Is it OK to shave/clip toenails in the living room?
B – Ew, no.
R – No, of course not.